What Can A Firm Mattress Do For You?
Firm Can Be Great
Your preferred comfort level is by far one of the most crucial parts to finding the perfect mattress for you. For those who sleep on their back or stomach, a firm mattress will definitely be a good place to start. The deep-down solid feeling is a great way to ensure that your spine stays in the correct alignment so that you can sleep deeply and stay asleep all night long.
There is always some trepidation for mattress shoppers who aren't sure what their mattress comfort level is. Will they miss out on a softer plush comfort if they get a firm mattress? There are varying levels of firmness, and within the Sealy, Tempur, Stearns, and Magniflex brands we carry there is definitely something for everyone.
Do You Like Firm Mattresses?
Chances are if you sleep on your back or stomach a firm mattress is an ideal mattress for you. With adequate support, this comfort level will ensure that your spine is aligned in the optimal position without any uncomfortable bends. Side sleepers might run into a little too much pressure on their shoulders and hips, but everyone is different. The best way to know what you like is to try it out.
Common Myths About Firm Mattresses
One common misconception that is still out there is that firm mattresses provide better support than plush mattresses. This is not always the case. Most mattress manufacturers use the same innerspring coil system within all comfort levels of a mattress collection. So a firm and plush mattress within the same collection should provide you with the same level of support, just with different comfort levels.
Firm is Good for You!
Those who have switched to a firm mattress can usually offer a long list of reasons for why they chose to do so. Chiropractors, doctors, and other medical professionals also promote the advantages of spending a night resting on a firm mattress. These include:
- Wonderful comfort- You can never have too much support, but you can always have too little support. This is particularly true for older people and those with back, neck, or joint pain.
- Correct alignment of the spine- Proper posture matters, even when you’re sleeping. If your backbone in a strange or incorrect position all night, it can be difficult to function throughout the next day. A firm mattress does a better job of keeping your spine aligned so that you can get through the day with less stress or strain.
- Deeper rest- If your mattress sags or is the springs have gone out, you’ll never fully rest. Your body will continue to fight against the strange positions your body sinks into. And it’s not just your back that needs proper support. Even your limbs, neck, and other body parts require that lift that a supportive mattress can provide.
- Proper weight distribution- Not enough support means sagging, which is a primary cause of misalignment in joints and muscles when asleep.
- Continual health benefits- There’s an assumption in the sleep industry that “proper rest = proper health.” During sleep, your body is doing several different things to repair and rejuvenate- cells are restored, human growth hormone is activated, insulin levels are lowered. Without a supportive mattress to give deep rest, these important processes don’t run the way they’re supposed to.
Finished with Your Research?
If you're ready to buy, that's great. However, if you need more information about which type of mattress will suit your needs the best, check out our Mattress Buying Guide. It'll help you make a smart decision. You can find it here.